Sunday, August 9, 2009

Beet Greens and Mint Chutney

This may be a bit oxymoronic, but the beet greens turned out very tasty, simple as they were, with a rosy red pot-liquor to boot. No need to make them into soup, though they would be a good soup add-on. I think beet greens are my favorite of all greens! Who'd-a-thunk-it.

Beet salad: extremely red and just the right amount of seasoning. We will see in the morning if we have an energy boost as advertised. Had lots left for another energetic supper tomorrow and the next day too. We should be leaping tall buildings by Wednesday, which is very lucky as that is my first day with kidos and I always need a little something extra until I get swinging.

Made mint chutney as well using all three kinds of mint from the herb garden, where it is trying like mad to take over. Experimented two ways: one with yogurt and one with red onions. Found a nice spice mix at the Indian Market, so that made it quite easy. Used the mortar and pestle to blend the rough chopped leaves. After watching the Julia movie, thought it only right to go at things the traditional way, even though I sort of cheated with the mix. Jack liked the oniony one, so that is probably the way to go. Keep the troops happy is my motto.

No comments: