Sunday, October 4, 2009

Natchitoches Meat Pie Fish


I am the "Artist for a Day" in the children's section of the Red River Revel on Monday and as such needed a project to teach. Came up with a new way to make fish, or at least I cannot find the idea anywhere on the web, so it is new to me. There is one thing I have learned, however, and that is that no matter how novel the idea seems, there is probably someone out there in art idea land someplace who has had the same brain storm before.


The fish I am teaching are made from a pancake of self-drying clay with a triangle cut tail section. The rest is then brought together much like a meat pie. The mouth is left open and eyes and fins are added. The nice thing about self-drying clay is that in a day or two it gets hard enough to paint with watercolors, tempera or acrylic.


I like this idea for the regional appeal. Plus, it is so easy that even a three year old can do it with a little bit of help. Perfect for the Revel.

1 comment:

Carola Nix said...

I can see these fish in different sizes and colored in a very colorful Mexican tradition and call them "Fish Tacos".