Thursday, April 1, 2010

NaPoWriMo
April 1, 2010

April is National Poetry Month and as part of the celebration, poets are challenged to write a poem a day for the whole month. Sort of appropriate that this begins on April Fools Day I think, 'cause I'm just crazy to even try.

Now, a poem a day means nothing will be polished or even edited at all, or at least mine will not. So anyone reading this has to look at it as a repository of ideas, not anything that is even near the finished product.

That said, I will give it a go.

When Did Becoming

when did becoming turn became
this path, once random
a genuine pleasant ramble
the imagined destination
a pinprick on the horizon
a gambol across a desert even
lighthearted

now my feet are heavy
lead filled wings
unable to lift
a bare inch forward
each step a slog

there is interest, still
at each juncture
a blade of grass a wonder
the bee that stops
mid-flight to watch
me, of all things
interested, in his short life
with my old bag

an instant for him
then a flit and he has forgotten
while I, slow, steady
contend with the discontent
of mystery

when did I miss that boat
that sailed to the middle
of Green Lake
caught the tide
ever so small

even that boat I missed
now, meant to be content
with this pace
this place
or maybe a day trip out
but always back to nearly here

where I started






No comments: